Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Technology drives our business — it's our main advantage — and software engineers play a pivotal role.
Software engineers at Two Sigma focus on analysis, experimentation, design, and elegant implementation. They build the scalable tools the organization needs to explore data's possibilities and act on our findings – to mine the past and attempt to predict the future.
As a Two Sigma engineer, you'll champion the rigorous, collaborative, scientific approach that allows us to meet business needs. You'll join a forward-looking, future-reaching organization to build software that will scale with the company. You'll have opportunities to learn from others and share your expertise.
We attract engineers with a real passion for data. We seek individuals who want to build for today and invent for tomorrow. We value curiosity and insight, balanced with pragmatism and practicality. We recognize both the small steps, as well as the broad vision.
As a student, you will be hired into a general Software Engineering role and matched to a specific team 2-3 months before you start.
Depending on the Engineering area you join, you will take on the following responsibilities:
- Building the underlying infrastructure that virtually every other engineering team at Two Sigma uses, such as our distributed storage and public and private cloud environments.
- Ensuring the reliability of “mission critical” products and systems vital to Two Sigma, such as our main trading system.
- Using a suite of open source and proprietary tools to build the environments that test and deploy our quantitative strategies, also known as models.
- Building and maintaining the low-latency, high-performance infrastructure and systems responsible for executing trades.
- Building and scaling the infrastructure used to ingest data from 10,000+ sources daily.
- Partnering with our Corporate teams to develop tools, systems and products responsible for increasing productivity and efficiency across the organization.
Wondering if this is the right role for you? You should possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in a technical or quantitative field.
- Experience with Java, C, C++, Python, Ruby, Perl, or other languages that target the JVM.
- Experience in large-scale systems.
- Exceptional programming skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- A passion of building quality software.
- We are open-minded in our search for critical thinkers who are passionate about technology. While we analyze the data-rich domain of finance, financial experience is not a requirement.
Two Sigma employees enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
- Hybrid Work Policy: Flexible in-office days with budget for home office setup
- We have locations in both NYC and Houston. If you are interested in our Houston location, please apply here.
The base pay for this role is anticipated to be between $165,000 (Bachelors), $170,000 (Masters), and $190,000 (PhD) based on academic degree conferred. The anticipated base pay range is based on information as of the time this post was generated. This role may also be eligible for other forms of compensation and benefits, such as a discretionary bonus, health, dental and other wellness plans and 401(k) contributions. Discretionary bonus can be a significant portion of total compensation. Actual compensation for successful candidates will be carefully determined based on a number of factors, including their skills, qualifications and experience.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.