Two Sigma is a different kind of investment manager. Since 2001, we have used data science and technology to derive insights that forecast the future and discover value in markets worldwide. Our team of scientists, technologists and academics looks beyond traditional finance to understand the bigger picture and develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most difficult economic problems. Our work spans markets and industries, from insurance and securities to private investments and new ventures.
We are seeking a talented engineer manager in the Database Engineering team at Two Sigma. The Database Engineering team operates the most critical database systems which are integrated tightly with Two Sigma’s highly parallel research environment and core live trading systems. We are also developing new cloud based database services and solutions to further scale our research platform. As the Database Engineering Manager, you will be charged with all aspects of the development and operations of database systems to enable high availability, continuous scaling and performance improvement. You will also define the long-term strategy and technical direction for structured storage. The challenge, complexity, and impact of your role will grow substantially as we scale our research and trading systems to remain at the forefront of an industry where latencies are approaching zero and the depth and breadth of relevant data sources is growing exponentially.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Lead a team of talented database engineers in developing new database services and operating production database systems, while raising the bar in operational excellence and system automation
- Mentor team members on technical skills and career development
- Working closely with software engineering groups to develop standard database access solutions
- Collaborating with financial experts and software engineers to design data models
- Owning a wide variety of technical projects including MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, as well as large scale Cloud database systems
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- A bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience in operating and supporting multiple relational databases (e.g., MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL) for performance critical and highly available systems, with 2+ years of experience in team mentoring and management experience
- In depth knowledge of database query languages (e.g., T-SQL, PL/SQL), database schema design, database and application level optimizations
- Best practices in database systems including system automation and operational excellence
- Strong experience in coding with scripting languages (Python and/or Powershell)
- Ability to build strong working collaborative relationships across the organization
- Strong communications in both written and verbal
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation, sick days, and paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.