Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
AlphaStudio, an internal start-up, is a cross-Engineering-Modeling team that aims to productively engage world-class scientific talent (“Remote Researchers”) working remotely from around the globe on problems of interest to internal TS Research. The Research Supervisor will play a critical role in: (1) building and scaling AlphaStudio’s next phase of development; (2) ensuring that Remote Researchers’ output meets the best-in-class research quality expected of Two Sigma Researchers; and (3) fostering a positive, collaborative culture that incentivizes talented individuals from around the world to extend and deepen their engagement with Two Sigma. By joining AlphaStudio, the Research Supervisor will play a critical role in advancing one of the firm’s major strategic initiatives in the pursuit of alpha generation at scale.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Manage Remote Researchers (RR) and associated research:
- Supervise a team of full time RRs and a number of part-time RRs as they conduct data profiling, hypothesis development, and feature creation efforts
- Maximize RR engagement and productivity while driving excellence in research output
- Optimize RR performance via ongoing feedback, guidance, and Research support (via email, chat, phone, and video)
- Interface between internal Research & Data Science teams and RRs:
- Partner with internal Research & Data Science teams to outline research projects, including scope and requirements
- Manage research projects and develop any required documentation and guidance for RRs
- Translate RR outputs into internal code and artefacts, aligning RR work to internal best practices and frameworks
- Where appropriate, conduct hands-on data analysis and model building
- Convey feedback between internal Modelers and RRs
- Strategically grow the AlphaStudio business:
- Actively participate in setting the research and strategic roadmap for the business
- Contribute to AlphaStudio-wide process improvements, including recruiting procedures, research workflows, and Modeler interaction modalities
- Liaise with the AlphaStudio Engineering team to set business priorities
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in applied data analysis & prediction, preferably in an industry setting (e.g. data science, management consulting, banking)
- A Bachelor’s or graduate degree in statistics, mathematics, physics, computer science, or other technical and quantitative disciplines. Failing that, analytical abilities must be demonstrated with challenging coursework, test results, or other robust indicators
- Track record of success in a fast-paced, challenging environment, preferably within a field requiring ongoing quantitative analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Coding experience required: Python, R, Java, C++ or scripting languages (Perl, UNIX shell)
- Experience with advanced statistical modeling (esp. time series modeling), numerical methods and research background
- Management experience preferred, though not required
- Experience tackling a number of in-depth, time-sensitive tasks concurrently, with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.