Business Innovation and Growth Strategist
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, China
Two Sigma is a financial technology company headquartered in SoHo, New York that explores the fascinating intersection of data science, artificial intelligence, and finance. We currently manage over $50 billion assets under management with 1,300+ employees spanning New York, London, Houston, Hong Kong and Tokyo. We apply the scientific method to investment management and follow principles of technology and innovation with equal regard to principles of investment management. Fields like machine learning and distributed computing guide us. Since 2001, we have searched for ways that these technologies can make us better at what we do, and explored how we can apply them more broadly.
The Business Innovation & Growth team helps Two Sigma extend its capabilities and activities. We operate on a global basis with team members in New York and Hong Kong. Our work is a blend of strategy, development and execution, anchored around a simple but powerful observation: software, data science and engineering are transforming every industry. In particular, disruption is still at an early stage in financial services where product and revenue models are still undefined, and where success will ultimately not only be settled by innovation but also by execution.
You will be a key member of a talented group of individuals with diverse skill set, background and experiences. You will answer questions such as: How can we develop Two Sigma's core capabilities? In which direction(s) can we extend our existing businesses? What is the best team, asset and / or partner to pursue a particular strategic opportunity? What are the optimal long-term organization models for the firm / the team to execute on these opportunities?
- You will apply creativity, rigor and collaboration to help plan and execute the growth of Two Sigma, particularly that in the Asia Pacific region;
- You will participate in crafting the long-term strategy and operating model of the firm;
- You will have ownership and accountability around specific initiatives and areas of focus, including some of the firm's most strategic projects;
- You will follow new technologies, innovative business models, regional market trends and financial services disruptions, and uncover and analyze new business opportunities that may have been created as a result of these factors
- You will drive execution of new business initiatives through a range of structures, such as:
- Incubating new initiatives using a combination of product prototyping, modelling and business development capabilities
- Cultivating and developing strategic partnerships in the region
- Identifying, assessing and negotiating strategic investments
- You will help define the scope and organization of the team as it evolves;
- You will grow and mentor a team of highly talented professionals;
- You will partner with Two Sigma’s global offices for joint projects and initiatives;
- You will develop a network of external partners within large corporations and start-ups across an array of industries;
- You will build relationships with all capabilities (Corporate, Engineering and Modeling) and businesses within Two Sigma;
- You will partner with the leadership team in defining and executing your work.
- Bachelor degree from a top tier University (with a minimum GPA of 3.5) – majors / minors in engineering, computer science, data science, mathematics, or related scientific disciplines preferred;
- Graduate degree (including but not limited to MBA) preferred;
- 7+ years post-Bachelor experience in a combination of business strategy, corporate development, venture capital, product development, management consulting, advanced degree and / or equivalent;
- Industry sector experience in technology, financial services (in particular, investment management) and / or financial technology highly preferred;
- Proven track record of being creative, resilient and resourceful in testing new ideas
- A high willingness to learn any topic and approach problems from first principles, with the support of rigorous quantitative and qualitative analyses;
- Confirmed ability to take an idea from blank sheet of paper, to development of clear and concise recommendation, to full execution;
- Extensive network of large corporates, start-ups, entrepreneurs and investors in your industry;
- Experience attracting and developing high talent, with direct responsibility for hiring, mentorship and career development;
- Experience negotiating and structuring acquisitions, investments, and / or partnerships is a big plus;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- A demonstrated passion for technology, financial services and investment management;
- Fluency in English and at least one Asian language (preferably, Mandarin Chinese)