First Year Software Engineering Internship - Houston
Houston, Texas, United States
Share with: Facebook Twitter Send to a friend
This position is open to students currently enrolled in their first year in 4-year Bachelor's programs.
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Technology drives our business — it's our main advantage — and software engineers play a pivotal role.
Software engineers at Two Sigma focus on analysis, experimentation, design, and elegant implementation. They build the scalable tools the organization needs to explore data's possibilities and act on our findings – to mine the past and attempt to predict the future.
As a Two Sigma engineer, you'll champion the rigorous, collaborative, scientific approach that allows us to meet business needs. You'll join a forward-looking, future-reaching organization to build software that will scale with the company.
We attract engineers with a true passion for data. We seek individuals who want to build for today and invent for tomorrow. We value curiosity and insight, balanced with pragmatism and practicality. We recognize both the small steps, as well as the broad vision.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity developed specifically for Freshmen Computer Science students. You will work with Two Sigma employees and other interns on software engineering projects, receiving technical training and mentorship to help you deliver professional software in a real-world setting.
Two Sigma is committed to diversity in the technology and financial services industries. Students who are members of a historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The summer internship program lasts 10 weeks and takes place in our Houston office. You'll have the chance to attend all Two Sigma events in Houston, from technical demos to guest speakers. We’ll host intern-specific social events to help you get to know other Two Sigma employees and explore all that surrounding Houston has to offer.
As a student, you will be hired into a general Software Engineering role and matched to a specific team 2-3 months before you start.
Depending on the Engineering area you join, you will take on the following responsibilities:
- Building the underlying infrastructure that virtually every other engineering team at Two Sigma uses, such as our distributed storage and public and private cloud environments.
- Ensuring the reliability of “mission critical” products and systems vital to Two Sigma, such as our main trading system.
- Using a suite of open source and proprietary tools to build the environments that test and deploy our quantitative strategies, also known as models.
- Building and maintaining the low-latency, high-performance infrastructure and systems responsible for executing trades.
- Building and scaling the infrastructure used to ingest data from 10,000+ sources daily.
- Partnering with our Corporate teams to develop tools, systems and products responsible for increasing productivity and efficiency across the organization.
- Currently enrolled in your first year in a 4-year Bachelor’s program, majoring or intending to major in Computer Science. Ideally, you'll have completed at least two Computer Science courses (AP or IB Computer Science taken during high school count!) by the end of your second semester.
- Experience with Java, C, C++, Python, Ruby, Perl, or other languages that target the JVM.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- A drive to build quality software.
- We are open-minded in our search for critical thinkers who are passionate about technology. While we analyze the data-rich domain of finance, financial experience is not a requirement.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.