Reliability Engineer - Technical Lead
Houston, Texas, United States
Share with: Facebook Twitter Send to a friend
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
We are seeking a hands-on Engineering Technical Lead for our Reliability/DevOps team to ensure quality of execution, development and delivery. Our Reliability Engineering team consists of a versatile group of full stack engineers who maintain and expand the capabilities of Two Sigma’s many and varied systems. The team exists in the space between traditional systems administration and development, and seeks to merge the capabilities from both disciplines.
You will gain exposure to:
- Public cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, and Azure), authentication and encryption technologies like TLS, Kerberos and GSSAPI
- Enterprise messaging systems and concepts (ex. Kafka, JMS, gRPC)
- Dynamic resource management frameworks (ex: Kubernetes, Docker)
- Distributed Open Source technologies (ex. Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Zookeeper and Prometheus)
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Lead operational support for multiple large distributed open-source software applications throughout our foundational infrastructure.
- In conjunction with your manager, play a pivotal role in both establishing and driving the strategic and architectural direction of the team. Assume the role of product manager when required.
- Solicit feedback and engage with multiple software and reliability engineering teams to improve all aspects of software reliability, including enhanced monitoring, alerting and performance management
- Partner with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, and software
- Facilitate proactive problem solving between infrastructure and development teams to ensure synergies are maintained and priorities are appropriately aligned.
- Gather and analyze metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding
- Assist with POC’s of new open source software solutions
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 7+ year’s relevant Systems Engineering, Site Reliability/DevOps, Production Engineering or Software development experience. Hands on experience operating as a technical lead (or equivalent) is highly preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree in a highly technical or scientific discipline such as computer science or electrical engineering.
- The ability to leverage off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use
- Ability to program (structured and OO) with one or more high level languages (such as Python, Java, C/C++, Go) with a proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems
- In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host based networking, linux or unix administration, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, cloud computing, and a desire to learn more
- Experience with automated configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.