Full Stack Engineer - Data Science Tools - London (City)
London, London, United Kingdom
Full Stack Engineer - Data Science Tools
Two Sigma is a different kind of investment manager. Since 2001, we have used data science and technology to derive insights that forecast the future and discover value in markets worldwide. Our team of scientists, technologists and academics looks beyond traditional finance to understand the bigger picture and develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most difficult economic problems. Our work spans markets and industries, from insurance and securities to private investments and new ventures.
Modeling Engineering build the modern data science tools and environments that both test (perform powerful simulations) and deploy our quantitative strategies (predictive models) throughout their entire lifecycle.
Modeling Tools Engineers (MTE’s) are a specialist engineering team within Modeling Engineering that designs, builds, and deploys applications running on top of these modern data science tools. MTE’s bridge the gap between modeling and modeling engineering by solving specific modelers’ problems in a reusable way, aiming to consolidate best practices and platform functionality so that many modelers benefit from a more uniform but full-featured toolkit.
Our MTE team is co-located between London and New York. We use a suite of open source and proprietary tools and contribute to Apache Arrow, Mesos, Spark, Jupyter, NumFOCUS and pandas.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Solve challenges for our modelers and data scientists by providing a sophisticated, reliable and secure researcher development environment.
- Have ownership and accountability for the implementation of new features in both our open-source (beakerx) and proprietary tools, bringing upstream changes into our modeling environment, deploying applications for our users as well as to the open source community, and supporting a sophisticated user base of data scientists.
- Drive execution of new business initiatives through a range of structures by curating, developing and integrating specific deployments of tools that are utilized by our modelers on a daily basis.
- Work on distributed applications like TS4, Greenhouse, and pcat using Scala, Spark and Flint
- Help make Python a first class citizen. Utilize and contribute to; Spark, Flint, Jupyter, BeakerX, Pandas, Numpy.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- A strong academic record with a degree or concentration in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a scientific discipline.
- 4-7 years programming experience, preferably with significant exposure to open source Python data science tools.
- Have proven technical abilities and a passion to teach and share.
- Strong communication skills, keen attention to detail, readiness to challenge assumptions and obsession with building quality software.
- While we analyze the data-rich domain of finance, financial experience is not a requirement.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.