Software Engineering Manager - Simulation
London, London, United Kingdom
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital. Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
This team uses a suite of open source and proprietary tools to build the environments that both analyze (perform powerful simulations) and deploy our quantitative strategies (predictive models) throughout their entire lifecycle. The immediate team is located in London and collaborates regularly with New York engineering counterparts and researchers.
Your team will be responsible for solving challenges relating to both scale and speed. Besides the sheer size of the code-base one of the greatest challenges is to take a process that is both very computer intensive and very sequential, and compress the runtime from a number of years to several hours. This challenge stretches our engineers beyond simple optimization and pushes them to take a step back, question what really needs to run and what is optional, precompute as much as possible, distribute the system even if it’s sequential, and make the right assumptions.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Manage, oversee, and immerse yourself in the day-to-day activities of a team of 5+ skilled software engineers.
- Improve features, performance and scalability of Core Simulation platform
- Ensure that department milestones/goals are achieved in a timely fashion.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific discipline
- Ability to program with one or more high level languages (such as Python, Java, C/C++, Go)
- Experience developing simulations platforms is preferred but not required. Finance experience is NOT required.
- 7+ years software engineering experience.
- 2+ years experience directly managing, and mentoring a software engineering team, setting technical strategy and ensuring timely project delivery.