Business Innovation and Growth Manager
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial technology company in SoHo that explores the fascinating intersection of data science, artificial intelligence, and finance. We currently manage over $50 billion assets under management with 1,300+ employees spanning New York, London, Houston, Hong Kong and Tokyo. We apply the scientific method to investment management and follow principles of technology and innovation with equal regard to principles of investment management. Fields like machine learning and distributed computing guide us. Since 2001, we have searched for ways that these technologies can make us better at what we do, and explored how we can apply them more broadly.
The Business Innovation & Growth team helps Two Sigma extend its capabilities and activities. We operate on a global basis with team members in New York and Hong Kong. Our work is a blend of strategy, development and execution, anchored around a simple but powerful observation: software, data science and engineering are transforming every industry. In particular, disruption is still at an early stage in financial services where product and revenue models are still undefined, and where success will ultimately not only be settled by innovation but also by execution.
As a manager on this team, you will be a key member of a talented group of individuals with diverse skill set, background and experiences. You will answer questions such as: How can we develop Two Sigma's core capabilities? In which direction(s) can we extend our existing businesses? What is the best team, asset and / or partner to pursue a particular strategic opportunity? What are the optimal long-term organization models for the firm / the team to execute on these opportunities?
Responsibilities and scope:
- You will apply creativity, rigor and collaboration to help plan and execute the growth of Two Sigma;
- You will participate in crafting the long-term strategy and operating model of the firm;
- You will analyze specific potential new business opportunities related to market gaps, disruptive technologies, and shifts in behaviors;
- You will drive execution of new business initiatives through a range of structures that will include business incubations, investments and partnerships;
- You will have ownership and accountability around specific initiatives and areas of focus, including some of the firm's most strategic projects;
- You will help define the scope and organization of the team as it evolves;
- You will grow and mentor a team of highly talented professionals;
- You will partner with Two Sigma’s other international offices for joint projects and initiatives;
- You will develop a network of external partners within large corporations and start-ups across an array of industries;
- You will follow new technologies, innovative business models and financial services disruption;
- You will build relationships with all capabilities (Corporate, Engineering and Modeling) and businesses within the Two Sigma;
- You will partner with the leadership team in defining and executing your work.
- BA / BS degree with a minimum GPA of 3.5 – majors / minors in engineering, computer science, data science, mathematics, or related disciplines preferred;
- Graduate degree (including but not limited to MBA) preferred;
- 12+ years work experience in a combination of business strategy, corporate development, venture capital, product development, management consulting and / or equivalent;
- Industry sector experience in technology, financial services (in particular, investment management) and / or financial technology highly preferred;
- Experience negotiating and structuring acquisitions, investments, and / or partnerships;
- Extensive network of large corporates, start-ups, entrepreneurs and investors in your industry;
- Experience attracting and developing high talent, with direct responsibility for hiring, mentorship and career development;
- Confirmed ability to take an idea from blank sheet of paper, to development of clear and concise recommendation, to full execution;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.