New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma Insurance Quantified (TSIQ) seeks to partner with leaders in the insurance industry by applying Two Sigma's core engineering, data science, and analytics capabilities. TSIQ works closely with its industry partners to deliver products and solutions, which lead to enhanced automation and data-driven decision making. Comprised of a diversified and growing team of highly skilled engineers, data scientists and business professionals, TSIQ possesses the agility and innovation of a dynamic startup with the resources and long-term view of Two Sigma.
TSIQ is seeking a hardworking individual to develop its accounting/related-financial capabilities, drive operational execution and support initiatives across the business. This role is critical in unlocking the next phase of TSIQ’s evolution - operational independence from Two Sigma - which will facilitate growth and efficiency through corporate processes suited to TSIQ’s needs as a software startup versus that of Two Sigma’s core hedge fund operations. The selected person will be responsible for managing the books and records for TSIQ and collaborating with Two Sigma counterparts to create an independent accounting department.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Develop and drive strategy for the accounting function for both internal and external purposes - ensure internal constituents and external investors (including Two Sigma) and the Board understand TSIQ’s financial position and have full confidence in the integrity of the books and records.
- Lead the accounting operations of the organization, as well as cash management and risk management.
- Establish robust accounting policies and procedures for core activities and areas of development.
- Lead all aspects of in-house monthly-, quarterly, year-end close processes (entity level, revenue recognition, consolidation, accruals, etc), including accounting for TSIQ’s UK entity (and associated consolidation).
- Coordinate our work with external auditors, ensuring compliance with accounting principles and financial accounting standards.
- Be responsible for the business’ work with tax teams (internal or external) ensuring appropriate tax filings.
- Oversee the reporting of cash flow projections; carefully allocate capital and rigorously manage expenses to ensure sufficient cash coverage.
- Works closely with the FP&A Manager in the development and analysis of budgets in-line with the business model and investor expectations.
- When the business determines it requires a new round of funding (internal and/or external), work closely with the Head of Finance and the FP&A Manager to build the investor reporting needed to secure funding.
- Work with Two Sigma team to ensure smooth transition as TSIQ works to achieve further operational independence.
- In partnership with the Financial Operations Manager, build the systems, infrastructure and processes for the transition from using Two Sigma’s Accounting team to building our own. Drive towards automation/analysis for management reporting.
- Collaborate closely with leaders / teams across TSIQ to support growth related to the launch of new initiatives.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Top tier education and advanced degrees preferred. CPA required.
- 6+ years progressive and relevant accounting experience ideally with startup, technology/software, fintech and/or insurance/insurtech industry expertise.
- 2+ years experience operating within a corporate/management accounting/reporting function (versus public accounting/audit).
- Experience around share-based compensation accounting practices
- Experience using and/or implementing core accounting/ERP/GL software solutions such as Workday (or similar)
- Strong Excel/Google sheet modeling ability and Powerpoint/presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, as well as the ability to interact effectively at the investor and board level.
- Demonstration of high analytical capacity and intellectual curiosity.
- Strong interest in technology and data science
- A strong work ethic, ability to work within cross-functional teams as well as operate independently
- Collaborative approach that fits well with an entrepreneurial, growing firm
- Self-awareness, maturity and irreproachable integrity.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.