New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial technology company in SoHo that explores the fascinating intersection of big data, artificial intelligence and finance. We currently manage over $47 billion AUM with 1200+ staff spanning New York, London, Houston and Hong Kong. We apply the scientific method to investment management and are not your typical investment manager. We follow principles of technology and innovation with equal regard to principles of investment management. Fields like machine learning and distributed computing guide us. Since 2001, we have searched for ways that these kinds of technologies can make us better at what we do.
We are seeking a bright and motivated corporate attorney to join our legal department to help support our Asset Management Business Development (AMBD) team. AMBD plays an integral role in helping to grow our Asset Management business, which leverages Two Sigma’s research, data and technology-driven approach to provide investment solutions to leading institutional investors globally. Additionally, AMBD collaborates with the Business Innovation & Growth team, whose work is a blend of strategy, finance, technology, venture capital and execution with a key focus on defining what the future looks like and how Two Sigma can play a part in defining and improving it.
This attorney will provide legal guidance and support to a variety of AMBD objectives, including on the expansion of Two Sigma’s corporate structure and increased regulatory footprint, as well as new business initiatives in collaboration with the Business Innovation & Growth team. This position is ideal for a creative corporate or transactional attorney who is comfortable advising on long‑term business goals in an ever-changing regulatory environment. S/he will be responsible for a wide range of matters, including:
- Working alongside AMBD to help design and implement long-term corporate structures and operating processes
- Providing actionable regulatory and compliance guidance to support the expansion of the Asset Management business
- Advising on new business initiatives, such as strategic partnerships with counterparties on a global basis, and executing on strategic opportunities (including M&A)
- Supervising and managing outside counsel and other external advisers
- 3-5 years of experience as an associate in a general corporate, emerging companies / venture capital or M&A group of a major U.S. law firm, or similar legal department in‑house
- Strong analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills with an ability to communicate and distill complicated legal concerns
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly
- Desire to learn alongside colleagues in a collaborative environment
- Confidence to interface with business partners and other Corporate departments and to effectively manage outside counsel and advisers
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and manage expectations in a fast-paced environment