Data Science For Good Fellowship
New York, New York, United States
Founded in 2014, the Two Sigma Data Clinic harnesses the power of data and technology to help nonprofits and charitable organizations better realize their mission. We provide mission-critical analytical and strategic support that enables socially beneficial but resource constrained organizations do what they do best – try to better the world. We do all of this pro bono.
What started off as a project championed by just a handful of employees has since turned into a truly unique volunteer opportunity for our coworkers, who have leveraged their unique expertise within analysis and engineering to help, among others:
- A New York City workforce development non-profit determine which of its services would be most appropriate for each of its clients
- A national environmental non-profit identify the predictors of environmental violations in oil wells
- A school-focused fundraising platform increase the likelihood that kid-focused projects receive funding
To build upon this success, we are now looking to expand the Data Clinic by hiring a Data Science For Good Fellow.. Appointments will be initially for two years, with the work squarely focused on projects benefitting the social good. Fellows will work alongside Two Sigma’s own scientists and engineers to harness data science in new and creative ways, with an eye towards making a positive impact. You would be the primary data scientist on 8-12 Data Clinic Projects over the course of the fellowship, and will have the opportunity to publish your findings along the way.
- A demonstrated passion for using data to solve hard, impactful, problems
- Experience applying statistical analysis to multiple domains
- A strong academic record with at least one quantitative degree (Masters or PhD)
- Proficiency with statistics and data analysis tools
- Competency with at least one of Python, R, or MATLAB
- Experience creating and leading complex technical presentations
- An intense desire to leverage data on behalf of non-profit organizations
- Previous experience volunteering or doing pro-bono work.