Data Scientist - Alpha Insights
New York, New York, United States
The Alpha Insights team at Two Sigma is looking for an entrepreneurial data scientist to contribute to its data-driven investment initiatives. Alpha Insights crowdsources the world’s investment insights and through such data creation we are an integral part of Two Sigma investment management process. We interact with people external to the firm to collect and analyze their investment insights through our web and mobile products.
Data science in Alpha Insights has 3 missions: (1) make relevant data and metrics accessible to the team (2) perform analyses to guide business and product decisions and (3) build data-driven features that power our products.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Deliver metrics and analyses to all functions within Alpha Insights including product, design, and business units
- Write ETLs to convert structure/unstructured data into stable data assets
- Build visualizations to enable team members to extract relevant insights
- Apply statistical analysis and exploratory techniques to enable data-driven decision making
- Own data-driven product components (e.g. ranking and recommendation algorithms)
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years of experience in data analysis or similar role
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics or related, quantitative field
- Experience applying statistical methods (distribution analysis, classification, regression, clustering, etc.). Application of these methods to user behavior a plus
- Demonstrated experience highlighting innovation, creativity, and intuition, e.g. the ability to laterally identify other sources of useful information and think 'outside the box'
- Strong data transformation skills (e.g. using Pandas, R,)
- Software engineering skills in at least one imperative programming language
- Communication skills to explain metrics/analyses to members of management, engineering, product and business teams.
- Prior experience in finance is not required
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation, sick days, and paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.