New York, New York, United States
More than 1,100 people who believe the scientific method is the best way to approach investing. Ideas backed up with information, and improved by iteration. That’s Two Sigma. We’re not your typical investment manager. We follow principles of technology and innovation as much as principles of investment management. Fields like machine learning and distributed computing guide us. Since 2001, we’ve searched for ways that these kinds of technologies can make us better at what we do. We never stop researching and developing. In the process, we work to help real people. Through our investors, we support the retirements of millions around the world. And we help fund breakthrough research, education and a wide range of charities and foundations.
Two Sigma’s legal internship provides an outstanding opportunity for you to learn and contribute to its legal team. Given the breadth and complexity of the legal work at Two Sigma, assignments will run the gamut, and responsibilities will include:
- Participating in new business projects and initiatives, including the launch of new financial/investment products and legal and corporate entities; updating, monitoring and revising the firm’s offering materials and regulatory filings;
- Assisting with special research and investigative projects;
- Maintaining the firm’s research/regulatory library;
- Keeping abreast and informing others of industry changes, relevant news articles and legal/regulatory updates;
- Reviewing the firm’s various contracts and other service provider agreements.
Two Sigma's goal is to provide its legal interns with work that is representative of the work that would be done by a junior attorney in an investment firm (or similar environment) or in the investment management practice group of a major law firm. You will have the chance to participate in department and team meetings and certain out-of-office activities (e.g., relevant industry/legal seminars).
Two Sigma recognizes that law school is very different from the real world practice of law and it aims to help its legal interns learn to make the transition from education to practice. Two Sigma is dedicated to training and will help you develop and hone the skills and abilities necessary to succeed in a variety of legal environments post-graduation. We will also provide you with regular and ongoing feedback. Throughout the summer internship program, you will have the opportunity to attend seminars taught by Two Sigma staff and outside specialists. There will be numerous opportunities to have fun as well. We are planning a range of social events (both inside and outside of the firm).
- Ideal candidates will be currently enrolled in your school's Class of 2018/19 with a record of exceptional academic achievement and active involvement in law school activities (e.g., law review, other journal experience, moot court).
- Candidates should be bright, well-rounded self-starters with an entrepreneurial and hard-working spirit who naturally want to take the extra step.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Success in Contracts and Legal Writing courses is a plus.