Portfolio Transactions Counsel
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Two Sigma Private Investments (“TSPI”) Group’s Legal & Regulatory team provides legal and regulatory support to three distinct private investment businesses – Sightway Capital, Two Sigma Ventures, and Two Sigma Impact.
- Sightway Capital focuses on private equity investments employing a principal mindset and flexible capital approach to building successful business platforms with experienced operators and strategic partners.
- Two Sigma Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm investing across verticals in companies using data science and advanced engineering to transform their industry.
- Two Sigma Impact is a private equity investment business that combines active, principled ownership with data science to seek superior returns and positive social outcomes.
TSPI is looking to add an experienced Transactions Counsel to our TSPI legal team. In this role, you will work closely with the TSPI investment teams and external advisers in all aspects of the investment process (including deal sourcing, evaluation, structuring, negotiation and financing) and throughout the lifecycle of new and existing portfolio investments. In addition to investment-related responsibilities, the Transactions Counsel will manage and support a variety of strategic transactions and corporate initiatives for TSPI, including in respect of the application of data science and data analytics to TSPI’s private markets investments and partnering with TSPI legal’s funds and regulatory personnel to design and implement standard methodologies in respect of funds and investment advisory regulatory matters as they relate to TSPI’s portfolio investments.
Given our relatively small team of investment professionals and legal counsel, the Transactions Counsel should expect to provide meaningful support to senior professionals internally within TSPI and externally with portfolio investment management teams. This position is ideal for a hardworking transactional attorney who excels in managing, negotiating and executing complex investments and wants to (i) work on a wide and varied spectrum of sophisticated investment types and structures, and (ii) build on core transactional expertise by developing hands-on experience with the operational, regulatory and investment funds requirements of a top-tier multi-strategy illiquid investments asset manager. Candidates should be proven collaborators who are excited to be part of a client-centric team. If you are passionate about joining a fast-paced, dynamic team, we would love to meet you!
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Structuring, negotiating and executing complex investments involving both corporate and pass-through structures (e.g., C corp., LLC, LP, etc.).
- Reviewing, analyzing and drafting a wide range of transaction agreements (including operating agreements, joint venture arrangements, strategic alliance agreements, revenue share agreements, purchase and sale contracts, debt facilities and venture-capital style agreements).
- Developing and updating forms of monitoring and data science advisory agreements, and working with TSPI professionals and portfolio company management to execute on governance and other contractual frameworks with portfolio companies.
- Supervising and managing outside counsel and other external advisers from evaluation through consummation of transactions and post-closing portfolio maintenance.
- Defining, developing and refining best-practices, negotiation guidelines and other documents, materials and tools to support the TSPI investment teams.
- Identifying, designing and implementing plans to fulfill evolving legal support requirements for investment, legal and regulatory counterparts.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 6+ years as a corporate transactional associate at a top-tier US law firm (a specialty in M&A, special situations and/or private equity transactions (including joint ventures) and experience with private equity firms, private equity strategies and corporate governance is a plus), and any significant in-house transactional experience is a plus.
- Presence and self-confidence to (i) work with the internal and external constituents, (ii) lead investment professionals and management teams in and through a transaction or initiative and (iii) effectively and efficiently manage external counsel and advisers.
- Extraordinarily strong analytical and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage expectations in a fast-paced environment.
- Personality, attitude, and approach suitable for an entrepreneurial, growing firm with a collaborative, team dynamic that executes cutting-edge negotiated transactions and investment structures.
- JD and admission to the New York bar.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation, sick days, and paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.