Private Funds Counsel, Two Sigma Private Investments
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Two Sigma Private Investments (“TSPI”) Legal & Regulatory team provides legal and regulatory support to three distinct private investment businesses – Sightway Capital, Two Sigma Ventures, and Two Sigma Impact.
- Sightway Capital focuses on private equity investments employing a principal mindset and flexible capital approach to building successful business platforms with experienced operators and strategic partners.
- Two Sigma Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm investing across verticals in companies using data science and advanced engineering to transform their industry.
- Two Sigma Impact is a private equity investment business that combines active, principled ownership with data science to seek superior returns and positive social outcomes.
TSPI is looking to add an experienced Funds Counsel to the team to focus on existing businesses and the launch of new strategies. This position is ideal for a hardworking and motivated fund formation and regulatory attorney who has a broad range of experience advising investment advisers pursuing illiquid investment strategies (including providing advice on regulatory and advisory issues and in forming, structuring and closing complex investment funds) and excels in a collaborative environment. Candidates should be proven collaborators who are excited to be part of a client-centric team. If you are passionate about joining a fast-paced, dynamic team, we would love to meet you!
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Managing the formation, structuring, negotiation, closing and administration of private funds, proprietary investment entities, co-investment vehicles and other arrangements for separate account clients.
- Reviewing marketing materials, investor communications, due diligence questionnaires and responses to investor inquiries and providing day-to-day legal advice regarding marketing and investor relations activities.
- Reviewing and drafting private fund offering and constitutional documents, including, private placement memorandum, limited partnership agreements, investment management/advisory agreements, subscription documents, side letters, placement agent agreements, administration agreements and depositary agreements.
- Reviewing websites, social media accounts, blogs, whitepapers, newsletters and other public facing materials and/or communications.
- Assisting with implementation of compliance program relating to private funds, managed accounts and co-investment arrangements and related investment management functions.
- Assisting with the development, refinement and supplementation of related policies & procedures.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 6+ years as a private equity fund formation and regulatory attorney.
- Significant experience in structuring, marketing and administering private equity funds, co-investment vehicles and separately-managed accounts, as well as compliance and regulatory matters related thereto.
- Significant experience reviewing marketing materials and other investor communications for private equity style funds and co-investment arrangements a must.
- Fluency in the Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, Securities Act and other law and regulation applicable to registered investment advisers.
- Facility with legal issues relating to marketing and distribution of investment advisory products with experience in application to day-to-day activities.
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and presentation skills with flexibility to communicate ideas and issues effectively and concisely to differing audiences and in multiple styles.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage expectations and time in a fast-paced environment with shifting demands.
- Prior experience in a financial organization is a plus, including experience before law school or via an in-house secondment.
- JD and admission to the New York bar.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation, sick days, and paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.