Reliability Engineer - Platforms
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital. Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Reliability Engineering is a versatile group of full stack engineers, at the front line maintaining and expanding the capabilities of Two Sigma’s many and multifaceted systems. The team exists in the space between traditional systems administration and development, and seeks to merge the capabilities from both subject areas.
Our Platform Reliability Engineering team is responsible for the technology foundations for Two Sigma while at the same time partnering with our Trading teams to enable their business functions to succeed.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Primary engineering and operational support for multiple, large distributed software applications including trading infrastructure and foundational systems for the company
- Improving all aspects of system, infrastructure and software reliability, including better monitoring, alerting, and documentation
- Engaging with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, software, and infrastructure
- Leading the evaluation and implementation of both homegrown and commercial infrastructure services for use within Two Sigma including DNS, Web Proxies, VPN solutions, Server Monitoring and Load Balancers, running both in on premise data centers and in the public cloud
- Developing tools and automation to support our infrastructure environments
- Gathering and analyzing metrics from both operating systems, applications and storage infrastructure to assist in performance tuning and fault finding
You should possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific field
- In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of the following: host based networking, Linux/UNIX administration, storage technologies, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, or cloud computing
- Ability to program (structured and OO) with one or more high level languages (such as Python, Java, C/C++, Go) with a proven track record of automation
- The ability to apply off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use
- A systematic and proactive approach to spotting and solving problems
- Experience translating high level software and infrastructure requirements from idea to a high quality implementation.
Additional qualifications preferred:
- Experience building out low latency/high performance computing environments
- Experience with web technologies, including tools such as Squid, Nginx, Envoy, SSL/TLS
- Experience with automated configuration management and infrastructure as code tools like Ansible and Terraform
- Experience with observability and monitoring tools (ex: New Relic, Datadog, Prometheus, Nagios, VictorOps, Splunk, BigQuery)
- Experience with public cloud technologies (ex: EC2, GCS)
- Experience with Containers, Docker, Kubernetes and virtualization technologies such as KVM, HyperV and Openstack
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
- Hybrid Work Policy: Flexible in-office days with budget for home office setup
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.