Reliability Engineer - Two Sigma Insurance Quantified
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Two Sigma Insurance Quantified is an insurance technology business utilizing technology, data science, intelligent automation and cloud-based computing to foster innovation, better understand risk and strengthen business and product offerings for the insurance industry. Two Sigma IQ is aligned with Two Sigma's vision of finding value in the world's data.
Comprised of a diversified and growing team of highly skilled data scientists, engineers, and business professionals, TSIQ possesses the agility and innovation of a dynamic startup with the resources of a well-established company. We are building the technical platform for Insurance, underpinning modelling and production services. This platform is cloud based, deployed in AWS, utilizing several of the Amazon managed services (EMR, Kubernetes, Lambda etc.) as well as custom software.
As a member of this versatile group of engineers, you will be on the front line for maintaining and expanding the capabilities of Two Sigma’s many and varied systems. The team exists in the space between traditional systems administration and development, and seeks to merge the capabilities from both disciplines.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Acting as a conduit between infrastructure and development teams, being sympathetic to the concerns and priorities of both.
- Primary operational support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications and for our AWS footprint.
- Improving all aspects of software reliability, including better monitoring, alerting and documentation.
- Engaging with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, and software;
- Gathering and analyzing metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
- Participating in an on-call rotation that may require off-hour response
You should possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific discipline.
- Ability to program (structured and OO) with one or more high level languages (such as Python, Java, C/C++, Ruby).
- In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host based networking, linux/unix administration, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, cloud computing, and a desire to learn more.
- The ability to quickly leverage off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to rapidly provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use.
- A proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems.
- A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, performance bottlenecks, etc.
- The ability to understand the inherent trade-offs between various software architectures as it relates to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, load balancing, data consistency.
- Ability to profile and debug applications in real time
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.