SRE Manager: Insurance Engineering
New York, New York, United States
Insurance is an exciting growth business area for Two Sigma. At Two Sigma Insurance Quantified (TSIQ), we seek to create value by applying Two Sigma's core engineering and modelling capabilities to the insurance space. TSIQ partners with leaders in the insurance industry to deliver products that reduce costs and support more effective underwriting capabilities. Comprised of a diversified and growing team of highly skilled data scientists, engineers, and business professionals, TSIQ possesses the agility and innovation of a dynamic startup with the resources of a well-established company.
Two Sigma is a technology company dedicated to finding value in the world's data. Since its founding in 2001, Two Sigma has built an innovative platform that combines extraordinary computing power, vast amounts of information, and advanced data science to produce breakthroughs in investment management, insurance and related fields. Today, Two Sigma manages approximately $39 billion in assets, employs more than 1000 people and has offices in New York, Hong Kong, Houston and London.
We are building the technical platform for Insurance, underpinning modelling and production services. This platform will be cloud based, deployed in AWS, utilising several of the Amazon managed services (EMR, ECS, Redshift, Lambda etc.) as well as custom software.
As a member of this versatile group of full stack engineers, you will be on the front line for maintaining and expanding the capabilities of Two Sigma’s many and varied systems. The team exists in the space between traditional systems administration and development, and seeks to merge the capabilities from both disciplines. Our remit includes:
- Acting as a conduit between infrastructure and development teams, being sympathetic to the concerns and priorities of both;
- Primary operational support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications
- Improving all aspects of software reliability, including better monitoring, alerting and documentation;
- Engaging with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, and software;
- Gathering and analyzing metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific discipline.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host based networking, linux/unix administration, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, cloud computing, and a desire to learn more.
- The ability to quickly leverage off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to rapidly provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use.
- A proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems.
- A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, performance bottlenecks, etc.
- An understanding of the operational concerns in a demanding environment; ideally, but not necessarily, finance.
- The ability to understand the inherent trade-offs between various software architectures as it relates to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, load balancing, data consistency.
- Ability to profile and debug applications in real time
Additional Skills Preferred:
- Provisioning and managing services in a public cloud environment