Senior Counsel - Private Investment Funds
New York, New York, United States
Sightway Capital is a Two Sigma company focused on middle market growth equity investing in financial services and real assets. The company employs a principal mindset and flexible capital approach to building business platforms with experienced operators and strategic partners. The team at Sightway Capital thinks long-term, targeting business opportunities that we believe afford both asymmetric risk rewards and enterprise value creation over time. They look for opportunities in and around several asset-intensive industries where our team has significant experience and a network of long-standing relationships. For more information, please visit sightwaycapital.com.
Sightway and Ventures are looking to add a Senior Funds Counsel to the private investments legal team. In this role, you will serve as lead counsel in the formation, structuring, marketing, negotiation and administration of the investment funds, co-investment vehicles and separate account clients sponsored by Sightway and Ventures, and you will have primary responsibility for advising and coordinating compliance and external legal support for their business in regards to non-transactional legal and regulatory matters.
This position is ideal for a talented and motivated fund formation and investment management attorney who has a broad range of experience advising investment managers pursuing private equity strategies (including providing advice on regulatory and advisory issues and in forming, structuring and closing complex investment funds) and excels in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Managing the formation, structuring, negotiation, closing and administration of private funds, proprietary investment entities, co-investment vehicles and other arrangements for separate account clients
- Reviewing marketing materials, investor communications, due diligence questionnaires and responses to investor inquiries and providing day-to-day legal advice regarding marketing and investor relations activities
- Reviewing and drafting private fund offering and constitutional documents; investment management/advisory agreements; platform agreements; subscription documents; side letters; placement agent agreements; administration agreements; and depositary agreements
- Overseeing and advising the compliance team in development, refinement and supplementation of regulatory policies, practices and procedures, and collaboratively coordinating to provide advice regarding advisory and securities laws as well as CFTC, ERISA and other rules and regulations
- Developing strategic plans (e.g., automation, staffing, law firm plans, gap analysis, etc.) for legal and compliance support of private investments business, and forming, managing and maintaining outside counsel relationships covering broad range of fund and investment management expertise
You should possess the following qualifications:
- 8+ years as a funds formation and investment management attorney, with no less than 2 years of in-house experience at a private investments firm (with experience at a multi-strategy investment firm a strong plus)
- Significant experience in structuring, marketing and administering private equity funds (including, buyout, real asset, credit, growth equity or other closed-end funds), co-investment vehicles and separately-managed accounts
- Fluency in Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, securities laws (including the federal securities laws, FINRA and state securities laws) and other law and regulation applicable to registered investment advisers
- Facility with legal issues relating to marketing and distribution of investment advisory products with experience in application to day-to-day activities
- Understanding of tax sensitivities of various investment classes a plus and willingness to develop expertise in regulatory and tax matters affecting investment management and funds a must
You should possess the following skills and attributes:
- Sound practical judgement and willingness to weigh legal and business risks to identify, develop and drive commercial solutions
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and presentation skills with flexibility to communicate complex ideas and issues effectively and concisely to differing audiences and in multiple styles
- Presence and self-confidence (i) to proactively identify and resolve issues and conflicts and (ii) to independently lead cross-functional teams, including external counsel and advisers
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage expectations and time in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated with positive work ethic and desire to ‘own’ projects from inception to conclusion and to be the recognized expert with accountability for areas of responsibility
- JD and admission to the New York State Bar Association
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.