Software Engineer Manager: Foundational Storage
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
We are seeking a talented engineering manager for the Foundational Storage team at Two Sigma! The team is responsible for the backbone of Two Sigma's distributed storage infrastructure which empowers hundreds of workflows across research, simulation and live-trading. We are evolving our storage infrastructure towards a hybrid cloud architecture to meet the continuous growth of our business. As the engineering manager on the team, you will have an opportunity to deal with exciting technical problems at an extensive scale (e.g., hundred PBs of data, billions of requests, etc.), and will partner with stakeholders to define the team’s technical roadmap and product vision. You will also be responsible for developing team members' career and shaping the team’s culture of high ownership, continuous improvement and operational excellence. The scope and impact of this team is also rapidly evolving with potential larger growth opportunities.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Manage a team that is responsible for developing and operating large scale distributed storage systems across on-premise and public cloud platforms
- Guide the design and implementation of new features for different storage services to meet Two Sigma’s dynamic and evolving business needs
- Collaborate with reliability engineers to operate the foundational storage infrastructure, and ensure the services meet the SLO/SLA for Two Sigma users
- Engage with users, product managers, senior tech-leads and senior management to define the team’s technical strategy and roadmap
- Mentor junior team members on technical skills and career development, foster a growing and collaborative culture for the team
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Experience of leading and/or managing an engineering team with a track record of shipping high quality software
- Clear, proactive communicator in both written and verbal skills
- Ability to develop high-trust relationships with stakeholders
- Solid software engineering skills in one or more of programming languages like Java/C++/Python
- Experience working on large distributed systems or object storage systems
- In-depth knowledge of Linux, system performance and software development process is a plus
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation, sick days, and paid caregiver leaves
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.