TSPI Senior Transactional Counsel
New York, New York, United States
Two Sigma Private Investments (“TSPI”), Two Sigma’s private markets division, develops and executes private investment opportunities that provide diversifying sources of return for investors. We invest with a principal mindset utilizing our flexible capital base to create investment opportunities with asymmetric risk-reward potential. We have developed particular expertise in building business platforms with experienced operators in and around asset intensive businesses across a number of industries including financials, natural resources and transportation. We have a growing team of 35+ professionals with significant institutional private investment experience that have made investments totaling in excess of $1 billion.
We are looking to add a Senior Transactional Counsel to our three person Private Investments legal team. In this role, you will work closely with the TSPI investment team and external advisers in all aspects of the investment process (including deal sourcing, evaluation, structuring, negotiation and financing) and throughout the lifecycle of new and existing portfolio investments. In addition to investment-related responsibilities, the TSPI Senior Transactional Counsel will manage and support a variety of strategic transactions and corporate initiatives for the private markets division.
Given our relatively small team and our emphasis on building business platforms jointly with management or strategic partners, the Senior Transactional Counsel should expect to provide meaningful support to senior professionals internally within TSPI and Two Sigma and externally with management teams. This position is ideal for a talented transactional attorney who excels in managing, negotiating and executing complex investments and wants to work on a wide spectrum of investment and transaction types and structures in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Structuring, negotiating and executing complex investments involving both corporate and pass-through structures (C corp., LLC, LP, etc.).
- Reviewing, analyzing and drafting a wide-range of transaction agreements (including operating agreements, joint venture arrangements, strategic alliance agreements, purchase and sale contracts and debt facilities).
- Supervising and managing outside counsel and other external advisers from evaluation through consummation of transactions.
- Defining, developing and refining best-practices, negotiation guidelines and other documents, materials and tools to support the investment team.
- Identifying, designing and implementing plans to fulfill evolving legal support requirements for investment counterparts.
- At least 7 years as a corporate transactional associate at a reputable US law firm (specialty in M&A or joint ventures and experience with investment firms is a plus) or 4+ years as a transactional associate followed-by significant in-house transactional experience.
- Presence and self-confidence (i) to interface with the internal and external constituents, (ii) to lead investment professionals and management teams in and through a transaction or initiative and (iii) to effectively manage external counsel and advisers.
- Extraordinarily strong analytical and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage expectations in a fast-paced environment.
- Personality, mindset, and approach suitable for an entrepreneurial, growing firm with a collaborative, team dynamic.