Data Analytics Associate, TS Impact
Portland, Maine, United States
Two Sigma is a financial sciences company, combining data analysis, invention, and rigorous inquiry to help solve the toughest challenges in investment management, insurance technology, securities, private equity, and venture capital.
Our team of scientists, technologists, and academics looks beyond the traditional to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s most complex economic problems.
Two Sigma Impact combines active, principled ownership and data science with the goal of delivering superior returns and positive social outcomes. The team is focused on workforce impact – where they anticipate innovative and thoughtful investments in humans will lead to an enhanced employee experience, productivity and long-term financial returns. As part of Two Sigma, Two Sigma Impact has access to expertise in data science, technology, and a range of corporate specialties, and seeks to support its portfolio companies with those resources.
With offices in New York, NY and Portland, ME our team is made up of experienced private equity investors, data scientists and human capital management experts. We are sector-focused across: Education and Training, Healthcare, Consumer and Business Services.
We are seeking to add an Associate to the operating team. In this role, the Associate will be involved in all aspects of the management of portfolio investments. The Associate can expect to have meaningful interaction with senior professionals both internally at Two Sigma Impact and externally with management teams.
The Operating Associate creates value at Portfolio Companies by working closely with the operating and deal teams on data engineering, analysis and project management tasks for data and technology transformation projects.
- Two Sigma Impact expects greater than 50% of the cost of this position to be offset through portfolio company reimbursement for the lower of TSPI cost and market rates for the work performed by this position with portfolio companies.
- Two Sigma Impact portfolio companies would greatly benefit from Associate level data and technology operating professionals who can document, query and help build portfolio level datasets. Investment team members have insufficient bandwidth and relevant experience to access this data without this level of support.
- Two Sigma Impact is developing a core capability around workforce data science and this resource can assist in the implementation of standard workforce analysis, which will increase our knowledge base over using third party vendors.
- Two Sigma Impact has allocated millions of dollars to the development and support of platform datasets and platform data tools for Two Sigma Impact Fund and future TSPI funds. This position helps realize the value from those investments by ensuring there is hands-on operational support to appropriately leverage datasets in the deal context.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Run adhoc analyses for deal sourcing, due diligence and company value creation efforts.
- Develop written requirements and monitor status of portfolio projects with third-party vendors and company staff.
- Perform data engineering tasks to establish cloud data environments.
- Document and train deal teams on usage of portfolio data assets.
- Develop management and workforce dashboards for each portfolio company
- Assess and communicate status of projects to operating and deal teams.
You should possess the following qualifications:
- BS degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or related, quantitative field.
- 3+ years of experience in data science, data analytics or similar role with demonstrated project management experience.
- Strong SQL and data analysis skills.
- Experience with data engineering concepts and platforms.
- Experience working with visualization tools like Tableau or Looker.
- Demonstrated ability to turn data into insights that drive business outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to travel 2 or more times per month.
You will enjoy the following benefits:
- Core Benefits: Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Perks: Onsite gyms with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Learning: Tuition reimbursement, conference and training sponsorship
- Time Off: Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
- Hybrid Work Policy: Flexible in-office days with budget for home office setup
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.